The Fifth International Symposium on Terahertz Nanoscience (TeraNano V)
The Fifth International Symposium on Terahertz Nanoscience (TeraNano V) will be held on December 1-5, 2014 in Martinique at Hôtel La Batelière. With the success of the first four meetings of this series, held in Osaka, Okinawa, Honolulu, and Osaka, this symposium will bring together world leaders and young researchers and students working in the multi-disciplinary field of terahertz (THz) dynamics in nanostructures.
The 0.1 to 10 THz frequency range of the electromagnetic spectrum is where electrical transport and optical transitions merge, thus offering exciting opportunities to study a variety of novel physical phenomena. By combining THz technology and nanotechnology, we can advance our understanding of THz physics while improving and developing THz devices. In particular, recent advances in the study of THz dynamics in carbon nanomaterials -- carbon nanotubes and graphene -- have not only broadened our horizon of THz research but also generated new excitement regarding their exotic AC properties and potential towards novel applications.
Topics to be covered at the meeting include :
- Absorption, emission, and scattering of THz waves in nanostructures
- Ultrafast dynamics of carriers, excitons, and phonons in nanostructures
- Nonlinear optical spectroscopy using intense THz radiation
- THz sources and detectors based on nanostructures
- Coherent THz magneto-optical and electro-optical spectroscopy
- High-frequency electronic devices
- THz sensing and imaging using nanostructures
- Growth and purification of nanomaterials for THz studies
The workshop will host a maximum of 100 participants. We believe that the size of this meeting with a clear focus on THz dynamics in nanostructures will provide an ideal forum for fruitful and stimulating interactions among young and established researchers.