- Materials at Low Dimensions
- Functional Materials for Energy
Dr. Lou's research interests include nanomaterial synthesis, nanomechanical characterization and nanodevice fabrication for energy, environment and biomedical applications.
Jun Lou obtained B.E. and M.S. degrees in Materials Science and Engineering from Tsinghua University and Ohio State University, respectively, and his Ph.D. degree from the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Princeton Materials Institute at Princeton University. After a brief postdoc at Brown University he joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at Rice University, and currently is an associate professor and the associate chair of the newly established Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering. He is a recipient of the US Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Award and the ORAU Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award.
1. Y. Lu, J. Huang, C. Wang, S. Sun and J. Lou, Cold Welding of Ultra-thin Gold Nanowires, Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 5, 218-224, 2010. DOI: 10.1038/nnano.2010.4
2. Y. Lu, J. Song, J. Huang and J. Lou, Fracture of Sub-20nm Ultrathin Gold Nanowires, Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 21 (20), 3982–3989, 2011. DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201101224
3. Y. Zhan, Z. Liu, S. Najmaei, P.M. Ajayan and J. Lou, Large Area Vapor Phase Growth and Characterization of High Quality MoS2 Atomic Layers on SiO2 Substrate, Small, Vol. 8 (7), 966-971, 2012. DOI:10.1002/smll.201102654
4. Z. Liu, L. Ma, G. Shi, W. Zhou, Y. Gong, S. Lei, X. Yang, J. Zhang, J. Yu, K. P. Hackenberg, A. Babakhani, J. Idrobo, R. Vajtai, J. Lou and P. M. Ajayan, In-plane Heterostructures of Graphene and Hexagonal Boron Nitride with Control Domain Sizes, Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 8(2), 119-124, 2013. DOI: 10.1038/NNANO.2012.256
5. S. Najmaei, Z. Liu, W. Zhou, X. Zou, G. Shi, S. Lei, B.I. Yakobson, J. Idrobo, P. M. Ajayan and J. Lou, Vapor Phase Growth and Grain Boundary Structure of Molybdenum Disulfide Atomic Layers, Nature Materials, Vol. 12, 754–759, 2013. DOI: 10.1038/NMAT3673
6. Z. Liu, Y. Gong, W. Zhou, L. Ma, J. Yu, J.C. Idrobo, R. Vajtai1, J. Jung, A.H. MacDonald, J. Lou and Pulickel M. Ajayan, Ultrathin High Temperature Oxidation Resistant Coatings of Hexagonal Boron Nitride, Nature Communications, Vol. 4, article number 2541, 2013. DOI:10.1038/ncomms3541
7. P. Zhang, L. Ma, F. Fan, Z. Zeng, C. Peng, P.E. Loya, Z. Liu, Y. Gong, J. Zhang, X. Zhang, P.M. Ajayan, T. Zhu, and J. Lou, Fracture Toughness of Graphene, Nature Communications, Vol. 5, article number 3782, 2014. DOI: 10.1038/ncomms4782
8. D. Tang, D.G. Kvashnin, S. Najmaei, Y. Bando, K. Kimoto, P.M. Ajayan, B.I. Yakobson, P.B. Sorokin, J. Lou, D. Golberg, Nanomechanical cleavage of MoS2 atomic layers, Nature Communications, Vol. 5, article number 3631, 2014. DOI: 10.1038/ncomms4631